Sunday, April 13, 2008

White Castle


First thing first: I haven't bought anything this week because I had to pay outrageous amount of money for fixing my car and I haven't watched TV or a movie (with the exception of the Control Room) at all thanks to heavy load of homework this week.
So, I am going to do one past product placement.
2004 was a banner year for product placement. Product placement became a media buzz word, getting mentioned in the Western press over 500 times in January 2005 alone. I found this incredible website. http://www.brandchannel.com/

One of my favorite movies is "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" (2004). I am ashamed to say after watching this movie, I had to go out and get this: A White Castle hamburger meal.

This movie is hilarious. (Just to warn you, if you get offended very easily, do not watch it!!!) Harold Lee (Cho) and Kumar Patel (Penn) are two stoners who end up getting the munchies. What they crave the most after seeing a TV advertisement, is a trip to White Castle. So from here, follows a journey for the burgers they require. On their way they will encounter many obstacles including a raccoon, an officer (Jobin-Bevans), and Neil Patrick Harris.

After watching the movie with friends, I had to find out what is so great about White Castle hamburger. (Mind you, that was before I read Fast Food Nation.) So, I devised a plan to get my hands on the White Castle hamburger. I often go down to CT to visit my sister. She works in NYC so I made her pick up the meal on her way back to CT so I can try it. After trying it, I was so disappointed! It was too greasy for my taste!
I realized that if one has the munchies, they will eat anything and it will good no matter what it is!

But regardless of what I thought of the meal, the point is, the movie did a great job convincing me that I HAD to try White Castle. I was thinking about the hamburger during my 3 1/2 hours drive to CT.

The movie Harold and Kumar, won an award for product placement:
The "The Coca-Cola Kid" Award for Achievement in Title:
"Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" The ultimate brand name plug, 1985's "The Coca-Cola Kid" is a film about a guy trying to establish a Cola-Cola franchise. In 2004, "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" best represents the legacy of not only placing a brand name in the title of the movie, but also making the movie about the brand. We salute White Castle's courage in cooperating with a film about two stoned yet loveable buddies on a road trip.

No comments: