Monday, May 5, 2008

Best Product Placements on Videos...

I am running out of things to blog since I haven't really bought much this year thanks to being coped up most weekends in the apartment doing homework and not being able to watch TV (maybe I should stop watching TV altogether! Think of how much $$ would I save from not watching product placements!)

So, I thought about what to blog tonight and I came up with instead of what is shown on TV, how about movies? I am going to list three top product placement in movies.

# 3 would be: It was a toss up between Runaway Bride or Castaway but I chose Runaway Bride since it featured FedEx. What I love about this part is when one of the characters said, wherever it is, she will be there tomorrow morning at 10:30AM. Brilliant!



Number #2: Défilé du 8e Battalion. I picked this one because it really shows how consumerism transcends our generation and did not start in the 80's like a lot of people think.

Product placement originates back to its film debut in the 1800's. In the film titled "Défilé du 8e Battalion" (Girel, 1896), a wheelbarrow displaying the Sunlight Soap logo and accompanied by a tuxedoed Lavanchy —Clarke, is placed in the foreground between the camera and the parade. The business of product placement had begun.



And the Number #1 goes to (drumroll please) You've Got Mail.

In its first ten minutes, "You've Got Mail" covers probably half its budget with unabashed product placements.

The fact that the movie pimps America Online was a given -- this internet-inspired remake of "The Shop Around the Corner" has no cute catch without it. But when Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks conspicuously frequent Starbucks (five or six times in the course of the movie) and make purchases with Visa cards they shamelessly flash in the camera, it's enough to make one stop watching the movie and ask aloud why Warner Bros. still wants my eight bucks.

3 comments:

Matt said...

"I am running out of things to blog since I haven't really bought much this year "

That is a very funny line.

ALLABTME said...

Monique - unfortunately these advertisers may be running into people like me who watch tv and movies for content. I'm totally oblivious to the subtleties of their advertising ploys. Unless they press the product against the screen or have a neon arrow pointing to it - I don't see it. I saw You've Got Mail and never even picked on on anything that you mentioned other than AOL of course.

ALLABTME said...

Oh and that's me (Donna) from class